Subject: [Leica] forget about coatings, how about them scratches...
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Mon Nov 24 10:36:56 2008

It's amazing, isn't it Doug, how photons seem to find their way even
when a lens is less than pristine?

I sent a Rolleiflex to Harry Fleenor a while back for mechanical
tune-up. The lens had some haze. Not bad, though. I opted not to have it
taken apart, polished and recoated. The camera is a user 2.8C Xenotar;
though blemished, a great picture taker, and older than me. I prefer to
use it over my mint 2.8F Planar. I don't have to be so careful with it.

There's something to be said for a camera or lens that isn't perfect in
appearance, as long as what it captures appears perfect.

DaveR