Subject: [Leica] Are Leica lenses muliticoated?
From: robertmeier at usjet.net (Robert Meier)
Date: Sat Nov 22 09:31:07 2008

Marty,

Your interest in this question and the lengths you have gone to answer it
are refreshing.  And your assessment of the importance of multicoating to
the pictures we take seems to be justified.   Thank you for taking my
question seriously, and answering it.

I have a question about what you said about the hardness of multicoating.
You said, "until recent very hard coatings were available, many types of
optical glass were harder than multicoating.
>>Multi-coating protects lenses from being scratched?    How wonderful!
>>(If
>>only it were true.)
 Modern hard multicoating (with a lot of flouride in the coating layer) does
protect lenses from being scratched, quite effectively.  The coatings on
modern Leica lenses are a couple of orders of magnitude more scratch
resistant than the glass that they typically cover."
So, until recently, lens were liable to being scratched from aggressive
cleaning, but the hard coatings of today will not be scratched by excessive
cleaning?   Is that right?   Do you have any idea how recent these harder
coatings are?

And I have a question about this comment of yours: "One confounding fact is
that multi-coating is easy to retro-fit, so I am assuming out 35/2 was
multicoated when made, not later on."    Did you mean to say, not easy to
retrofit?

Thanks,
Bob