Subject: [Leica] Are Leica lenses muliticoated?
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Sat Nov 22 06:42:37 2008

At 11:19 PM 11/21/2008, Ted Grant wrote:
 >Guys get real!! Who the hell cares about this stuff and knowing it or not
 >knowing. Does it make for a better photograph?
 >
 >I've put lenses on my cameras to take the best possible photographs I can
 >and I've done that for over 50 plus years and coated or not, has never ever
 >entered my mind, nor has it ever made the content look better or not
 >better!
 >That was obvious!
 >
 >Get a life, go take pictures and screw all this nonsense!

Dear Dr Grant (hc)

I realize that, after Mel Brooks, you are the
oldest man alive on this Earth, and your opinions
and thoughts are highly valued.  But bear in mind
that this is a LARGE group and includes folks
with many, many interests.  I am a
"number-cruncher" and an analyst of optical
history and lore.  Hence, this discussion is of
some interest to me, not just for its Leitz
aspects but also for the broader question of the
Zeiss and JSK and Rolleiflex and Pentax and so forth involvements.

I certainly agree that the claims for the
efficacy of lens coatings are a bit
over-stated.  In almost all conditions, a lens
hood will do as much good.  For that matter, most
surveillance lenses, including those made by Leica, are uncoated.

Let the guys talk on.  It is of interest, at the
least, to me, and I am always interested in
determing shift-points in production
technology.  I would suspect that Leitz went to
multi-coating on photo lenses from mid-1975 but I am hungry to learn more.

Dr Lieutenant Colonel Small <he grins broadly>

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Are Leica lenses muliticoated?)