Subject: [Leica] FS: Unique Leica M3 -- Call it "FrankenLeica"
From: ausdlk at gmail.com (David Keenan)
Date: Fri Nov 21 11:28:10 2008

For sale is an early model M3 (sn: 7455xx) was the first Leica M I bought on
my road back to photography. It became an on-again of-again project to
"modernize" this camera while retaining the look of a stock M3.

This early model does not have the frame line preview lever and has the old
"geometric" shutter speeds of 1/5, 1/10. 1/25, and 1/50 of a second (instead
of the more familiar 1/15, 1/25, and 1/60 of second).

What follows are all of the alternations made to this camera over roughly a
three year span since I acquired it:

* change old-style flash sockets to modern version
* replace worn and brassed top plate with new-old-stock (un-serial numbered)
* install M2 viewfinder to gain 35mm lens frame lines
* double stroke advance modified to be single stroke
* install M4 style film take-up mechanism for easier loading and automatic
resetting of frame counter
* replace worn Vulcanite with "Red Snake" body cladding from CameraLeather
(*)
* Add matching Luigi (Leicatime) Burgundy leather shoulder strap
* protective plastic covers the top plate and the bottom plate to protect
against scratches

(*) Two alternate body cladding pieces are also included if wish to return
the camera to "stock" black cladding or if you'd like to clad the M3 in an
white Vulcanite-like material. This coverings are made by Asahi in Japan and
are pre-cut for this generation M3.

The camera is gorgeous. I get comments on it every time I go out with it
over my shoulder. Cannot claim this camera is in mint condition but I think
it is safe to say that is would fall between 8.5 - 9.

The viewfinder is bright and clear. The frame lines are aligned. I just shot
roll film and they came out fine -- most serious mistake occurred when my
Brainiac 5000 light meter misread a scene -- so I'm sure the shutter speeds
are okay.

I am selling FrankenLeica to consolidate my camera holdings to just the
equipment that I use on a more-or-less regular basis.

Not sure what the market will bear for a one-off M3 so I am looking for
offers.

Pictures can be emailed if interested.

Dave.

--