Subject: [Leica] R10 news
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Nov 1 20:24:36 2008

Jayanand Govindaraj wrote:

>The D3 prints are by John Shaw, who is, by the way, an acknowledged master
>of nature photography, whose books are the starting point for any budding
>nature photographer and a Nikon legend - I don't own a D3:
>
>http://www.johnshawphoto.com/
>
>http://nikon.net/dyn/articles/article_detail/99.html
>
>I have four prints of Doug of varying sizes, from small to big, all printed
>by him, so I am comparing the two sets.

Ah, so the D3 isn't yours.  I believe that there are a lot of uncontrolled
variables in this comparison including the printers.  I don't know who is
printing John Shaw's photos, but I'm doing 100% of the "darkroom" work for
mine.  I suspect that if John is doing his own processing he has a more
sophisticated processing workflow than mine (and certainly more training and
experience), and if he's paying someone to do his image processing he's
probably not paying an amateur with limited experience such as myself.

BTW I "crashed" one of his workshops, with permission, in about 1990 and in
a subsequent book he poo-poo'd my technique.  So if his technique is better
than mine, this is another uncontrolled variable in a comparison.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com