Subject: [Leica] Photo Techniques magazine - you pros will love this :-(
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Thu Oct 30 14:24:27 2008

Just received the November/December issue of Photo Techniques, the
last on my current subscription, I think. I have been wondering about
whether to renew it, because while some of the information is useful,
it is a bit too "rock and fern"-oriented for my taste, and the digital
parts of it deal mainly with heavy Photoshop stuff which is over my
head. But in this issue there was a little notice which helps me make
the decision. On page 5, under the heading "Searching for Serious
Photographers", it says:

"Photo Techniques is conducting a search among its readers for serious
photographers whose technical expertise, artistic vision, and
philosophy demonstrate a commitment to photographic excellence.
Selected photographers will be featured in future PT promotional
materials that let our advertisers know something about our readers.
You will be doing us a voluntary unpaid favor that will be greatly
appreciated."

Now, I know that many photo magazines fill their pages with reader-
submitted photos. But at least those are contests with decent prizes
(like the Photographer of the Year in Amateur Photographer) or
submissions for critique. Here, on the other hand, is a magazine that
is simply fishing for free photography to use in purely commercial
endeavors. I thought that my subscription money and the ad revenue is
what enables the magazine to actually pay photographers for material
to be used commercially...

I will not be renewing my subscription.

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman