Subject: [Leica] leica m8 owners, r u upgrading
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sun Oct 19 20:24:57 2008

Mehrdad, I guess you have to decide whether you think the shutter upgrade
benefits are worth the cost to you.
My view is that the shutter upgrade and the bright-line upgrade are the most
useful of the offered options.
I'm waiting for now to do my sums again in a couple of years.
Remember that you do not get the 'Discreet mode' with delayed cocking option
except by buying the M8.2
You do get the quieter shutter and an additional 12 months warranty on the
whole camera.
Neither Zeiss nor Cosina made any mention of a digital rangefinder from them
in the future at Photokina.
I haven't even read any wishful speculation.
Leica clearly demonstrated that the M8 will be with us for some time.
Getting the S system into production will be followed by a future R10, so I
think that you would wait a long time before any possible replacement for
the M8. Years certainly.
I bet you now you that the M8 will still be the only game in town when next
Photokina comes along in 2010. That will be 6 or 7000 M8 photographs away
for me.
Still lots of people on this list will be happy to tell me that I was wrong
if some miracle occurs and an M9 materialises.
Still more expect the M8's resale value to collapse or anticipate
G?tterd?mmerung for Leica so they can say, see I told you so!

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/e
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/