Subject: [Leica] IMGS: Kodachrome scans
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Sat Oct 18 11:32:19 2008

I really like these.  That classic Kodachrome signature color and
contrast look really pops (and conjures up a certain nostalgia for
National Geographic back in the day -- I assume they were a big
Kodachrome shop?)

I wish (as I get the impression you do) that some subtle extra bits of detail
could be pulled out of some areas which are getting crushed to pure
black.  Is the detail there, when you look at the slides on a light
table or projected?  I wonder (even though it would be a little pricey)
what would happen if you tried the experiment of choosing a particular
favorite (but with these thick blacks) and sending it out to have
someone scan it with a really fancy scanner, like an Imacon or a drum
scanner if such still exist, to see if more can be squeezed out if you
throw technology at the problem.

2008-10-17-19:20:06 Tina Manley:
> I did two of the girl in the blue huipil to show the warm and cool
> differences.

They're both compelling;  I guess I may have a slight preference for the
cooler one, despite the kind of greenish tint on the wood.

Is the cooler one the more "straight" scan, and the warmer one your
tweak?

 -Jeff

Replies: Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] IMGS: Kodachrome scans)