Subject: [Leica] OT: modern pocket watch?
From: rmcclure2 at woh.rr.com (Rob McClure)
Date: Wed Oct 15 19:15:28 2008

 From past discussions on this topic, I believe there are a number of
Omega Speedy owners on this list.  Mine is the original "Moon watch"
model, virtually identical to the watch worn by Neil Armstrong during
his walk on the Moon.  As specified by NASA it has an acrylic
"Hesalite" crystal (won't shatter) and is hand-wound (they weren't sure
how a self-winding mechanism would work in a weightless environment).
It is a 3 dial Chronograph without a date and day function.  The Speedy
Moon was used by the Apollo 13 astronauts for manual time calculations
after the computers quit functioning.  The Speedy Moon is still
certified by NASA for space use, though undoubtedly quartz is now the
movement of choice.  Mine has the steel strap, though NASA of course
used a velcro one.  Here's link for more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Speedmaster_Professional

Rob