Subject: [Leica] OT: modern pocket watch?
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Sun Oct 12 20:13:11 2008

Quoth the Ken Carney :

> I can't understand who would want a mechanical watch.  I spend a
> fair sum having my wife's Rolex cleaned  and calibrated from time
> to time.

Wondering that myself.  I wear a $7.50 casio and I haven't yet
figured out how the time reading it gives me is in any fashion
inferior to that from a multi-thousand-dollar TAG-Heuer, or Rolex, or
Patek Philippe, or whatever.

Had a Seiko once.  It was destroyed when the undercut riverbank cliff
I was unknowingly standing on gave way and I smacked my wrist on a
rock when I landed about six feet down. $100 gone in a fraction of a
second.  Not worth it.

(I still wear a wristwatch; I've never gotten accustomed to carrying
the cell phone and usually forget to take it out of my vest when I'm
not wearing it. I hate carrying the thing, actually...   Goddam
electronic leash.)

--

R. Clayton McKee                           http://www.rcmckee.com
Photojournalist                               rcmckee@rcmckee.com