Subject: [Leica] Scam, but how?
From: piers at hemy.org (Piers Hemy)
Date: Tue Oct 7 09:02:44 2008

Step 1 - you accept the "heavy gold ring"

Step 2 - the rightful owner of the "heavy gold ring" turns up, claims to
have seen the transaction, and demands the "heavy gold ring" which he had
just dropped

Step 3 - you hand over the "heavy gold ring"

Step 4 - the rightful owner of the "heavy gold ring" expresses his
gratitude, and then notices that the the "heavy gold ring" is nothing but a
brass curtain ring, and accuses you of switiching it in your pocket

Step 5 - by chance, a law-enforcement official in plain-clothes happens to
have witnessed everything, shows you his "official pass" and invites you to
do the right thing before this turns really nasty. No "heavy gold ring"? Ah
well, cash will do...

Now, you do know how to spot "heavy gold ring" from brass curtain ring, and
"official pass" from something knocked up in Photoshop, surely?

Thankfully, this was explained to me before it happened for real.  Keep
clear!