Subject: [Leica] PAW 40 dlridings
From: dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Sun Oct 5 12:15:32 2008

Thanks Jim and Robert. The IIIg, I really like it. I like having
framelines (miss them in the IIIf and use separate viewfinders instead
... looks dorky). The shutter is so smooth and quiet now, particularly
at slower speeds. It fires exactly when I want it to. It's an old
dream. I could never afford one 30 years ago.

Luis,

I used the Jupiter-9 this week too, but I didn't scan any of them. I'm
not so sure I would call it soft. You have to hit the focus properly,
but when you do, it is a nice lens. It too has the Sonnar smoothness
that the Jupiter-8m has.

I used a Kiev. I think you might be right about finding a good one. In
my experience, they are all good, but if someone took one apart before
you got it and if they didn't know what they were doing, they can
re-assemble it incorrectly and then it is a bad one.

I've used a lot of FSU (former Soviet Union) lenses and I have never
run across a "dog". Maybe I'm lucky or maybe the bad ones have already
been tossed along the way-side. The Jupiter-12 is a dandy too.

Most of my experiences are with Kievs though. I do have a Jupiter-8 in
a leica screw mount and it is just fine.

The Jupiter-9 is big, along the lines of a Summicron 90 (not as long,
but just as big for all practical purposes).

Thanks for looking,
Daniel