Subject: [Leica] LUG - Way over my budget...
From: jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman)
Date: Sun Sep 28 18:27:29 2008

Jan,

Don't have a big budget?  Don't sweat it.  Use what you have, and have fun
with what you use.

The wonderful part of this list is that, as Shaw said of Hell, you can be
whatever you want.  Curious amateur enthusiast without much money?  Perfect!
Photojournalist poseur?  Fine with us.  Wealthy amateur with the latest
toys?  Good!  Seasoned pro who uses a combination of the latest and vintage
equipment?  That's fine, too.

Lately I've been posting lots of pictures,  all film-based (and scanned with
an old Minolta Dimage II).  Total equipment investment was $800 for a used
Summicron 35, a $550 Bessa R2a, a $300 Dimage II, and discount film from
Freestyle.  Best thing I did was switch from a reconditioned M2 to the
Bessa, which is fully automatic (when I want it), and easy on my ageing
neck.  It's no Leica in build quality, but then I never grabbed my Leicas as
often as I do the Bessa.

On average, I shoot about a roll of film every two weeks.  At that rate, my
payback for an M8 would be in, oh, six or seven lifetimes.  By that point
they'll be giving away M8s with each stack of Staples recordable CDs.

Both film and digital have their places.  Much of film's subtle gradations
aren't well-captured by most inexpensive scanners, so what you see posted to
the web isn't everything rendered by the camera. The best digital
equipment's results aren't necessarily fully captured in our picture posts.
So, in a sense we're a lot like high-end audio fanatics swapping lossy MP3
files to compare recording quality.

I seem to recall a situation about a decade ago, when some LUG members would
dash off to purchase the latest new ASPH lens, then shoot a roll of C-41
budget film, have it developed by the local Rite Aid, and then scan the
resulting print to show off the incredible quality of a lens. It was silly.

About the only rule around here is to take pictures, discuss stuff
reasonably politely, and stay the heck away from politics (unless it's in a
picture).

Best,
Jim Shulman
Wynnewood, PA