Subject: [Leica] S2 hits Photokina
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Sep 23 21:37:31 2008

Ken Iisaka <ken@iisaka.org> wrote:

>Given the sensor area of 30x45mm, I would suspect that the register distance
>or flange/back distance would have to be greater than on Leicaflex/R cameras
>as the reflex mirror would have to be 25% larger.  If an adaptor is made, I
>would expect it to be a teleconverter with a ratio of 1.4x, and the lenses
>with protruding rear element would be unusable.

The S2 might have a split mirror.

>Still, the thought of putting the Summilux-R 80mm on an S-2, effectively a
>110mm/1:2 sounds very intriguing.

If such an adaptor is made the angle of view would be about like a 90mm lens
on a 35mm camera:

80mm * S2 crop factor * 1.4
80 * 0.8 * 1.4 = 89.6

OTOH, the new 350mm APO-Elmar-S on the S2 will have the same field of view
as the 280mm lens on the SL....  hmmmmm...

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com