Subject: [Leica] S2 hits Photokina
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon Sep 22 14:45:58 2008

Well I wondered in an earlier post why there wasn't any mention of estimated
cost? Has there been any?

Actually I really don't want to hear simply because it'll be so far out of
the pocket book range of most ordinary Leica users they wont have a hope in
hell of buying one.  I honestly hope I'm wrong!!!!!!

We'll know why if it's sky high and they didn't put a price out with the
gear introduction as not to scare off those who are still full blown Leica
lovers!

Which I am still, honest, an absolute Leica lover, always have been and
still, even if some of the new Canon gear has crept into the cupboard! ;-)
But I do use my Leica glass for many of the shoots.

It's all well and good to have 37 mgp. But if they don't have sufficient
market for the gear they are going to crash and burn like the R100 Zeppelin!

And given the quality levels of photography are dropping like a fast falling
brick off Mount Everest with any old kind of image available for the least
amount of payment. What do you think 37mgp is going to do? Sell more
pictures? Not today!

It isn't going to make a dimes worth of difference as quality is the last
thing many buyers are looking at these days and are far more interested in
"HOW CHEAP CAN I GET IT FOR!" Whether that's paid assignments or quality of
pictures.

And worse, the art directors and buyers of photography who are quite happy
with cheap image quality as long as it makes some kind of representation of
what their addled minds accept for quality. So why would one really and
honestly need 37 MGP's? Other than personal satisfaction! Income? Never! As
it sure as hell isn't going to make you more money because it's 37mgp's!
Nobody cares! Well that is those whom we make our income from!

A shame really as I expect the prints from a 37mgp with Leica glass will be
outstandingly spectacular!

ted

Replies: Reply from lists at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary) ([Leica] S2 hits Photokina)
Reply from jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore) ([Leica] S2 hits Photokina)