Subject: [Leica] M8 time
From: vick.ko at sympatico.ca (Vick Ko)
Date: Sun Sep 21 17:23:47 2008

Ric

I don't know if I qualify to be giving advice.  I dithered a long time
before buying mine.  And I haven't used mine for a month.  I did a
European holiday with an R7.  Now I'm at university, torn between no
time to shoot and walking to campus with just fantastic weather along
very scenic pathways.

But, for what it's worth:

1.  buy with warranty.  You'll sleep easier.  Other than not liking that
I've tied up so much money in my M8, at least I have the peace of mind
that it is covered by the warranty.

2.  spend as little money as possible.
Buying an M8 isn't like investing in the prior film M's that generally
held their value.  Perhaps this is saying "buy used if you can get a
decent warranty, or buy used if you can get a cooperative seller (i.e.
fellow LUG who'll help with sending a covered camera back to Solms)).
The factory warranty on new is 3 years; I've seen that demo warranties
are 1 year.

3.  I don't see the value of getting an M8.2, when an M8 with the ver
2.0 firmware gets you 99% of the functionality.

Maybe tell me how much you are willing to invest, and I might be talked
into selling mine.   !!!!!

...Vick