Subject: [Leica] Une deux CV avec propriétaire original IMG
From: glehrer at san.rr.com (Jerry Lehrer)
Date: Sat Sep 20 15:47:01 2008

Stasys,

Sory to have waited so long for a reply.  The story of my 1957 1500
Carrera GT is an involved one:

Summer 1957 I was happily racing an AC Bristol when the Navajo Missile
program was canceled and
thousands of engineers were laid off.

A racing buddy who owned a Porsche dealership in Long Island called me
to tell me of a forfeited deposit
on a Factory delivered 1500 Carrera coupe. That I could have for the
price of an "ordinary" Super coupe.
But--- I had to pick it up at the factory in September, with CASH.   In
a week I sold my AC Bristol, plus my
Buick  tow car (a story in itself, the Buick came from the 1953 GM
Futurama, a Riviera show car)
Sold all my cameras except a IIIf  plus wide and 135mm lenses,  my gun
collection etc etc.  Bought airline
tickets to Stuttgart for girl friend and me. Got passport in record time.

Constellation flight had engine trouble and was diverted to Iceland.  3
fun days in Iceland,-- The most
beautiful women in the world, but I could do nowt!. ( the expression
"brought sandwiches to a banquet"
comes to mind)

Got to Stuttgart and picked up car-- Ruby Red with tan leather--
Fantastic- Got apartment in Paris, but
spent most time touring Europe for five weeks, spending all our money.

Found a job in US  with ABMA, flew back , had car shipped.  All went OK-
Quit job because of snow,
Took job in Cape Canaveral Florida--  Porsche was flawless.  Transferred
to  San Diego--Drove
Porsche from Florida to New York to California. Flawless, except for
encounter with a cock pheasant
and windshield in west Texas 115 mph, Temp over 100 degrees.  It made a
one inch hole in windshield
with all of the pheasant homogenized inside the car.

With a duct tape patch, and an interior cleaning,  I made it to La
Jolla, where I have stayed for 50 years.

Best regards
 Jerry

Message from glehrer at san.rr.com (Jerry Lehrer) ([Leica] Une deux CV avec propriÃtaire original IMG)
Message from stasys1 at cox.net (Stasys Petravicius) (Re: [Leica] Une deux CV avec propriétaire original IMG)