Subject: [Leica] Looking at pictures
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Tue Sep 16 15:31:39 2008

I'd rather answer the question, "what are you trying show?" than,
"what are you trying to say?"
If I'm trying to say something I'll use words. If I'm trying to show
something I'll use cameras, pencils, brushes, etc. The medium is,
indeed, a major part of the message. I can talk about what drew me to
the subject; why I framed it the way I did; why I adjusted the
tonality; what I believe makes it a strong (or weak) image; what I
believe it shows; but I'll have a difficult time talking about what
the photograph "says."

I'm all for analysis - love it in fact - ask my friends and family,
who find my love for analysis a bit "too much."
Part of that analysis requires proper context and syntax. Photographs
don't say things. They show things. Then people say things about what
they're shown - if we're lucky.

Fond regards,
George

george@imagist.com