Subject: [Leica] Re: 21/1.4??
From: freakscene at weirdness.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Thu Sep 11 16:27:35 2008

>Canon makes a 24/1.4, Nikon a 28/1.4. Olympus had a 21/2.
>Who here has used any of these and will report to us about their quality and
>utility?

The Nikkor 28/1.4 is absolutely fantastic.  It has internal focusing and
there is some chromatic abberration on full-frame digitals, but much less
than a lot of other lenses I tested.  In my experience it's as good as the
Leica-M 35/1.4 asph.  A great low-light lens.

I've used the oly 21/2 and 24/2 and thought they were very good with B&W
film of medium speed, but looked a little flat with colour or very
fine-grained B&W film.  I think the designs were optimised for larger
structures than other lenses, including the slower Olys of the same
generation.  The coatings used by Olympus were often not great and both of
these lenses suffer from flare when there is a light source in the frame.
But for use with fast B&W film they are excellent.

I've not used the Canon 24/1.4, but I've seen some of Tina's images and
agree that the chromatic aberration is discouraging, although it's easily
fixed in digital images using Picture Window Pro or several other programs.

Marty

Gallery:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene

--