Subject: [Leica] Re: 21/1.4??
From: dstella1 at ameritech.net (Dante Stella)
Date: Thu Sep 11 16:09:36 2008

I used the 28mm f/1.4D Nikkor quite a bit on both the D2x and a Kodak
14n.  I had some peripheral use on the F5 and F4.  It was one of the
things I sold to buy an M8.  I fell back on a 17-35/2.8 AF-s, which I
think is a lot more useful, especially on the 14n.

The Nikkor about as good as a 35/1.4 Summilux ASPH, which is to say
very good.  It's amazingly flare resistant (Nikon characterizes it as
the descendant of the Noct-Nikkor).  And when you consider that Nikon
had (and has) no f/1.4 AF lenses shorter than 50mm, it's pretty much
your only choice.

It's not small (72mm filter dia), and it's not light.  It could have
used AF-s, considering how little glass is moved to focus.

A good choice if you live in the dark, but it's not exactly what you
would want for general purpose shooting.