Subject: [Leica] Getting into printing.. need advice?
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Sun Sep 7 18:35:18 2008

At 06:40 PM 9/7/2008, you wrote:
>Lottermoser George <imagist3@mac.com> wrote:
>
> >too few people have ever spent any amount of time
> >truly looking at exemplary photographic prints
> >made by fine print makers.
> >
> >The auto cameras do make
> >quite acceptable negatives, slides and/or digital images.
> >It becomes too easy to be impressed
> >by what current technology can deliver with ease
> >(without thought or craft)
> >off the shelf.
> >Until
> >one takes the time
> >to truly look at the work
> >of fine craftsmen and women;
> >which suddenly shifts one
> >into humble mode.

But there is a danger of admiring a beautiful print of nothing.  The
people who do that with digital prints are called "pixel peepers".  I
attended a printing workshop with quite a few of them who admired and
examined with a loupe, beautifully printed photos with no meaning
behind them other than the technical quality.

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept." -- Ansel
Adams

Tina

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com