Subject: [Leica] photos of fires, etc
From: lkhermann at bresnan.net (lkhermann)
Date: Tue Aug 26 11:24:43 2008

Dear LUG,

I thought that I should try out the new gallery, which works
fantastically.  We in Cody, Wyoming have had to live with smoke from
a fire, which was started by lightning and which has now grown to
over 54,000 acres.   Yesterday we drove up into Yellowstone  Park to
escape the smoke and on the way home recorded a few images.

This photo is from west of the fires which do not extend into the park.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Lee/dessert/smoke+on+the+North+Fork.jpg.html

This photo shows the smoke behind the tourist lodge at Elephant Head rock.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Lee/dessert/smoke+behind+Elephant+head.jpg.html

The fire has traveled east to within ten to fifteen miles of Cody.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Lee/dessert/smoke+on+Jim+Mt.jpg.html

One of the helicopters, from Canada, helping to fight the
fire.  The  tube hanging down from the belly of the helicopter is
used to suck water out of a lake or in this case river.  The water
fills the hopper behind the front of the aircraft.  This craft has
just risen from the river and will fly over the fire and drop the
water and return to fill up again.  I wanted to photograph the craft
hovering over the river, but was chased away by a deputy sheriff.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Lee/dessert/skycrane+1.jpg.html

I notice that there are some aircraft fans on the LUG and so include
a photo of a sister ship of the craft in the above photo.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Lee/dessert/skycrane+2.jpg.html

Hope you enjoy.

Lee

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at bellsouth.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] photos of fires, etc)