Subject: [Leica] RAID controllers?
From: datamaster at northcoastphotos.com (Gary Todoroff)
Date: Thu Aug 21 10:52:14 2008

Very thoughtful and informative reply, George. Would love to debate
over a beer sometime! My philosophy about PC's in general is that
they are like sports cars -- lots of horsepower but not much torque.
So you never load down one PC with too many tasks.My network has PC's
dedicated to specific tasks: Server as just a fat disk (the RAID5),
Photoshop workstation has powerful CPU and dedicated fast SCSI
scratch drives, film scanner workstation is also used for e-mail,
word processing, etc, and the Office PC is for Quickbooks. This is
all a lot less expensive than it sounds, since I have mostly rotated
older PC's into the tasks that don't need much horsepower.

In the same way, I like to separate programs from data - probably
leftover from midrange and mainframe computer days when "libraries"
kept an organized approach, very much *unlike* Windows. Perhaps that
is why I like the OS separate from data on my server -- data only on
the RAID, OS on the IDE (or is it SATA?) drive that runs the computer
and will be there no matter what happens to the RAID. I also like the
performance advantage that puts the OS overhead on one disk, while
the data read/writes are the only function of the RAID.

Gary Todoroff