Subject: [Leica] RAID controllers?
From: datamaster at northcoastphotos.com (Gary Todoroff)
Date: Tue Aug 19 00:42:34 2008

>I disagree w/ Gary's statement, there's only one small reason not to
>put the OS onto the RAID too.

Right, George, like there's only one small reason to untie your
lifeboat from the ship as it's going down. Leave the RAID for data
only. If anything happens with the RAID, you still have your OS disk
to boot from in order to diagnose what is wrong. A broken RAID is
thin ice enough, even  worse if your OS has to skate on it.

>  Other than that, I can't see any reason to run the risk of having
> to reinstall all of your stuff when/if your OS
>system disk fails.

If you use the server/workstation approach (two PCs), then the only
software on your server OS disk is the OS itself along with any RAID
management software. Keep the server simple, and reinstalling the OS
on a new disk is simple.

Gary Todoroff

Replies: Reply from hartzell at alerce.com (George Hartzell) ([Leica] RAID controllers?)
Message from hartzell at alerce.com (George Hartzell) ([Leica] RAID controllers?)