Subject: [Leica] IMG: Classic plane - Ju 52 - salvaged in Norway
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Sat Aug 16 09:23:16 2008

More information, nearer than I thought too.
One of the thirteen Ju52s abandoned on the lake in Norway,
Hartvikvannsee, was salvaged and returned to its origianl condition with
original parts at the German Airforce base in Wunstorf - about 25
minutes drive from here.
Another 3 of the aircraft in reasonable condition were also salvaged (2
for spares and 1 is now on display in Dessau, Germany, where it was
built), and a further 2 are scheduled for salvaging by the Norwegians.

The planes were left on the lake after a one-way flight on April 11,
1940 to provide General Dietl's troops with rations. This section of the
German occupation force was cut off from its supply lines in Narvik by a
Royal Navy blockade, and there was not enough fuel to fly the aircraft
out again.

Cheers
Douglas

>>> http://gallery.leica-users.org/d/132101-1/20080816-_MG_8191.jpg