Subject: [Leica] Is Lightroom 2.0 Really Shipping?
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Thu Aug 14 16:25:19 2008

At 7:12 PM -0400 8/14/08, Tina Manley wrote:
>At 06:41 PM 8/14/2008, you wrote:
>>>Me too. iView/Expression seems to be going nowhere at the moment. The
>>I haven't tried it lately, but one problem with using Lightroom as
>>a main cataloging application (was/is?) that it objected
>>strenuously to having items moved. iView is a lot better in that
>>regard; it's very easy to reconnect catalogs to moved media.
>>

>>--
>>     *            Henning J. Wulff
>
>If Lightroom can't find the file, there is a little question mark in
>the upper right corner.  Right click on it and you have the option
>of showing LR where the file has been relocated.  It is smart enough
>to figure out that all of the other questioned files will probably
>be in the same place.  I'm trying to reorganize everything based on
>Peter Krogh's DAM system but using LR instead of Bridge.  I never
>liked Bridge.  I'm also replacing iView with LR.  When I tried to
>open my biggest iView catalog last week, it was corrupt and wouldn't
>open.  The fact that it won't show DNG photos, and the ability of LR
>to show 1:1 previews, has pretty much convinced me to give up on
>iView.
>
>Tina
>
>Tina Manley
>www.tinamanley.com

I had to move a whole set of media once to a new hard drive, and it
took LR and me a couple of days to get it all sorted. It would find
some of the moved items, but it missed a lot. It also had problems
associating metadata. With iView you just had to specify the root
directory of your data and it would do the rest.

This was about 6 months ago so things might be better now, but I
don't plan to try it right now as I don't have that much time that
I'm willing to risk.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design