Subject: [Leica] Experience with Apple?
From: clive.moss at gmail.com (Clive)
Date: Thu Aug 7 19:23:05 2008

I switched to a 24" iMac with OS X 10.5 a couple of  months ago after
using a MacBook with OS X 10.4 for over year, after using Windows PCs
for about 15 years, after using both Windows PCs and Apple Mac in the
late 80s, after using MS DOS PCs for a few years, after using the
original Apple II, after using mainframes since 1963.

I am typing this on the MacBook in a rented holiday home, using mac.com
as my mail repository, with Thunderbird as my mail client. The system
just spun the ball (for Windows users, thats the hourglass) for about 3
minutes - probably a problem with mac.com (now Mobile Me or some other
marketing BS).

Mac built in "productivity" applications (Mail, Address Book, iCal) and
its sync service via .MAC are primitive. The open source and/or free
equivalents (Firefox, Thunderbird, GMail) are way better. Microsoft
Outlook with Exchange is better than all of them in ease of use and
functionality.

Macs have almost as many problems as PCs - but they have fewer users, so
the problems are less exaggerated. It is a personal preference, and
right now, I prefer the Macs problems to the Windows PC problems. YMMV.

In general, OS X seems to network and handle new hardware more easily
than Windows. Windows seems to have more freeware available.

Apple industrial design is way better than that of most PC manufacturers
(IBM and Lenovo laptops excluded).

Apple's mice are a joke. Get a Microsoft or Logitech mouse.

Use Parallels to run the Windows applications that I still need. I have
Windows Office (got it free for attending a Microsoft seminar), but find
OpenOffice does everything I need.

When configuring your Apple for photographic use, avoid the smaller
iMacs. They all have a screen that is extremely sensitive to vertical
viewing angle (as of August, 2008). The 24" iMac, which I now use, have
a screen that is very impressive, but too bright. There is a freeware
app called Shades that can dim the screen.

In retrospect, I should have bought a Mac Pro and used my old PC
monitor. It would have cost about the same, run faster (maybe), and is
more modularly upgradeable.

Matte (Antiglare) vs Glossy - personal choice. I have glossy, I did not
have a choice offered when I bought my system. I think I may have
preferred matte.

My personal summary - Macs are "better" than MS based PCs for most
purposes, but the gap is not as great as Apple addicts make it out to be.

Full disclosure - I own Apple stock, and do not own Microsoft stock
--
Clive
http://clive.smugmug.com

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] Experience with Apple?)