Subject: [Leica] New Lee filter set for rangefinder cameras
From: mark.teampope at ntlworld.com (Mark Pope)
Date: Thu Aug 7 07:20:21 2008

My filters and holder (and lens :-) ) arrived this morning.  I had a
quick go with them and it seems very easy to get the filter in the right
position.  The filter holder comes with a leaflet that suggests
positioning the filter so the graduation starts about one mark up from
the the centre line (the holder has graduation lines etched on it),
which is approximately 1/3 of a 35mm frame.  For the M8, presumably, the
filter may need to be positioned a touch lower.
This worked fine.  Obviously, with a digital camera it's much easier as
you can see the results instantly.
There is a review of the system in this month's Outdoor Photography
magazine and the reviewer used a Mamiya 7II and was very happy with the
results.
It's very easy to overdo the filtration.  The hard nd grad set comes
with three filters, with densities  of 0.3, 0.6 and 0.9 (1 2 and 3 stops
respectively).  3 stops is an awful lot and can look very obvious. I
suspect the 0.6 filter will get the most use.

The filter/holder does intrude quite a bit into the viewfinder, which
was a bit disconcerting, but on reflection, I don't think it's any worse
than the Leica polariser filter in this regard.

There's no real problem with hand-holding either...

On a separate note, I think I'm going to *really* like the 28mm Elmarit...

--

Mark Pope,
Swindon, Wilts

Homepage http://www.monomagic.co.uk