Subject: [Leica] Lightroom 2 Ships!
From: heninger at adobe.com (Wade Heninger)
Date: Tue Jul 29 09:48:43 2008

On Jul 29, 2008, at 9:23 AM, Frank Filippone wrote:

> Why does Lightroom exist?  What does it do that PS will not do?

Much has been already written to answer this question:

http://www.lightroomkillertips.com/2007/why-lightroom/
http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=445734
http://www.scottkelby.com/blog/2008/archives/1308

My 2 cents having worked on all the tools we're talking about:
simplicity

LR was designed ground up for photography.  It *is* about the
photographic process once the image is snapped.  Photoshop is a tool
for lots of different people - graphic designers, scientists etc.  ACR
was invented to give PS Raw editing, but its slow and cumbersome.
Bridge lets you browse, and hooks up with ACR and PS but they are all
different apps and bouncing around a lot is annoying.   Its a dated
workflow that may work, but you're not as efficient as you can be.

LR does more, does it more efficiently and more simply.

Photoshop is still a tool I use when I need to do serious compositing,
but I find that this is just a fraction of my day to day work.

Of course, I'm biased.

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Lightroom 2 Ships!)
Message from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Lightroom 2 Ships!)