Subject: [Leica] covering the news....
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Philip Forrest)
Date: Sat Jul 26 21:57:12 2008

Of course, but I don't want the news to be endangering the lives of our
military. If you embed with the US military, you have to play by their
rules. The citizens can make up their minds, but let them do it after
the fact, by some time. The journalist should have used the chain of
command for release authority as per his agreement. I understand that
we all want complete and unfettered access to information and freedom
of speech everywhere, but part of that painful truth is that
sometimes the situation on the ground dictates that everyone with
information shut up for a while.
There is no true free press anywhere yes, but the greatest amount of
censorship happens not by some "big brother" or the government, but by
managing editors who need to sell advertising. Everything comes back to
money and Angelina Jolie or Barack Obama beat dead service members
every day of the week when it comes to circulation. No one should kid
themselves that the NYT isn't making more money off of the ousted
journalist than they would on a page 12 article featuring the photo.
This war is an afterthought to most people in comparison to other
smokescreen "news."
Phil

Philip,
The truth is the truth, however painful. Why hide it? Let the citizens make
up their minds themselves. This article brings home the fact that there is
no true free press in the world - only varying degrees of freedom. When you
read news anywhere, you must be aware of the slant and prejudices inherent
in what you are reading, i.e. NYT vs WSJ.
Cheers
Jayanand

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 3:20 AM, Philip Forrest <photo.forrest@earthlink.net