Subject: [Leica] IMG: Brighton on a windy afternoon
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sat Jul 19 23:45:43 2008

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your comments. Constructive criticism is not "harsh", and I
very much appreciate it.

I address your specific comments below.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain
http://www.frozenlight.eu
http://www.greatpix.eu
http://www.nathanfoto.com

Blog: http://www.fotocycle.dk/blog

On Jul 20, 2008, at 7:28 AM, Alan Magayne-Roshak wrote:

> As usual, your pictures were fun to view, but I have to say that in
> a lot of
> them, I wished for slightly different compositions.
>
> Here I think it needs more ground under the pavilion for stability:
> http://www.greatpix.eu/gallery/5472430_bCAV5#334606122_kdz46

I had to crop the image the way I did because there was stuff in the
foreground that I did not want in the pictures.

> This one needs the whole wagon and banner showing:
> http://www.greatpix.eu/gallery/5472430_bCAV5#334605631

Agree on that. But I took the picture while walking past, he was
obviously doing this thing, and so there was not time to recompose or
reshoot. To paraphrase Ted, it was a case of "Look, that's neat--
CLICK" and then the moment was gone. Street photography is like that.

> I wish the whole arch of the "Turbo" was included:
> http://www.greatpix.eu/gallery/5472430_bCAV5#334606741_7phVb

On that one I have to plead guilty as charged. The action was not fast-
moving, so I could certainly have zoomed out by walking backwards
(remember that all these are with a 25mm lens). I don't remember if
there was anything behind me that prevented me from doing so.

> But I am completely happy with my favorite:
> http://www.greatpix.eu/gallery/5472430_bCAV5#334606958_VyVaS
> This is a wonderful composition.

Glad you like that one. The composition is a result of careful
cropping in Lightroom, there was more extraneous stuff around the edges.

> I don't want to come off as harsh, or a know-it-all, but I'd like to
> recommend scanning
> the edges of the viewfinder for inclusion or exclusion of design
> elements (when time permits,
> of course).  Easy for me to say, huh?   ;~}

As I said, for this kind of photography it is not always possible. In
general, I obviously prefer inclusion to exclusion. I can always crop
tighter in Lightroom, but if I have chopped off a limb, it is
impossible to recover what was not on the sensor in the first place.

Again, thanks for looking and for the critique.