Subject: [Leica] Not in Zim
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Wed Jul 2 01:51:34 2008

Sadly, several of the independent African nations have poorer human
rights now than during colonial times. Since the abusers are black
rather than white, other nations have turned a blind eye. It is not
the way it was supposed to be so heads are in the sand.
We should not forget that Mugabe is such a hero in Africa following
his violent overthrow of the Smith government that even his genocide
of his political opponents (Nkomo) tribe in Matebeleland was not
criticised. Mbeki, who had a comfortable existence in Exile before
independence does not have anywhere near Mugabe's status in African
opinion.
It is astonishing the extent to which image is more important than
reality.
I write this sadly as one who conscientiously demonstrated for the
independence of African nations whilst a student.
Frank

PS I guess this should be on the forum