Subject: [Leica] OT: New Nikon D700 full frame
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Tue Jul 1 12:44:51 2008

According to what I have gathered, the tighter the sensor ells are to each
other, the higher the inherent noise in the sensor.  So you are better off
with larger sensors and less pixels per square inch.
How to quantify this is beyond my current understanding.....

Now, add in the algorithms used in the printing process, and God knows what
is better..... the printer algorithms are just about amazing.  So maybe is
all a moot point?

BTW, Bob, have you compared a print made from your Hasselblad ( film +
scanner) to a print made from your M8 of the same scene.... which do you
find "better" and why?

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

If your primary need is to print big prints?as sharp as can be (i.e., no
softness due to data degradation) and you don't need low light capabilities
beyond 800 or 1600 (so speed isn't an issue), is it better to have 12MP with
big sites or 20+MP with smaller sites?