Subject: [Leica] IMG: OT Equip - Lime Kiln Park
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Mon Jun 23 19:10:47 2008

Mark, I only can observe any 'crunchiness' in the kiln interior two shots
(which have lots of sharp edges). The first five especially are delicious
medium format Velvia to my eye. It may be too that the original superb
resolution (plus the contrasty medium) as well as the scanner all contribute
to so much minute detail that it needs managing. That's a quality problem to
have, right there. Did you notice how many of these are the full frame with
no crop at all, too? Bob has the same sharpening regime as I do, so maybe
that?s why it appeals to me! Anyhoo it is very much more subtle and superior
to anything easily achieved with unsharp mask. When you get down to these
low resolution web versions the effect is more distinct, certainly. Actually
you can vary that too with choice of edge selection, opacity of that
adjusting layer and original capture sharpening routine. Sort of involves a
call on how much impact you want on the web versions too. Holding prints in
your hands will always be a different story, as you know.

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/e
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/