Subject: [Leica] M8 and the WAR
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Wed Jun 11 16:29:03 2008

Chris, without in any way denigrating the experience and credentials of the
reviewer, the published information on the frame-lines is muddled and has
errors. On white balance, the current firmware does much better and of
course white balance considerations are not unique to the M8.
Regarding a 24x36 sensor, it remains very unlikely within the constraints of
an M body. In practical terms you need just one more wide lens to
accommodate the 'crop factor'. It is different but very doable for an M user
with a selection of great glass. Less of an issue than for any non-'full
frame' dSLR certainly (1.33 vs. 1.5, 1.6, 2x).
On mechanical solid film kit second hand prices, all six of my remaining
manual focus well built Nikon primes are currently for sale, for a total of
about one half to one third the value of a single modern used Leica M lens,
throw in two manual focus bodies (F3 and FE2) and we're maybe half to two
thirds of one lens. Guess which kit has better value retention ;-)

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/e
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/