Subject: [Leica] NYLUG Meeting
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard Taylor)
Date: Mon Jun 9 10:30:48 2008

This was my first NY Lug meeting and I'm sure it won't be my last.
Thank you John Lee for inviting me to the meeting and to dinner with
Roger, Tina, Tom and yourself the night before.  I had a great time.

We had two wonderful speakers with superb photos to show and strong
stories to tell.  Phillip's honest telling of his experiences brought
home the powerful realities of war on the ground in IRAQ.  As Mark
said, it was life changing.  After Phillip's gritty presentation,
Tina's wonderfully warm and beautiful photos of India and its people
left me feeling there was some hope for us after all.  Pairing them in
this order was a stroke of genius.

Sorry I couldn't join you for dinner after the meeting.  After a quick
trip back to Lincoln Center to pick up my car - the cab topped out at
75 mph on 6th Ave, BTW, just another insane NY cab ride, right? - I
drove home and was up early for the drive to Cape Cod and a fine sail
across Buzzards Bay.  It was a beautiful day on the water with a solid
15 southwesterly and temperature in the low 70's F, quite a contrast
from the 95 F and 100% RH that welcomed me back to Boston last night.

Just to bring this back to photography again, I tried shooting from
the boat with my D300 and a 420 mm equivalent tele just see if I could
frame accurately from a bouncing sailboat with that lens.  It's
tough.  You've got to time your shots with the roll of the boat and a
pile of erratic bouncing.  At times it's hard just to keep your
subject in the frame.  Mostly I learned to shoot a bit loose and crop
afterwards.  Nothing to post yet - my photo computer is down awaiting
a new power cord.

Regards,

Dick