Subject: [Leica] Alastair and Hoppy meet up Episode one
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sat May 31 06:57:43 2008

WARNING WARNING even more rampant speculation. May be disquieting to R
owners.
Today Alastair and I attended the PMA photo and imaging show which is as
close as we get to a Photokina in Australia. We have a number of adventures
to relate and pictures to share very soon. More show report to follow too.
Naturally we spent time chatting with assorted Leica related representatives
and friendly sales folks.
One of the retail folks admitted even wining and dining the R production
manager in Solms only to obtain not a single word on any future products.
His credibility we rated as likely to be very high and some attractive deals
were mentioned on various red badged items. You have to like a man with an
MP slung over his shoulder, his personal camera, for shooting away at the
show.
We quizzed the friendly distributor guy expecting the cone of silence on
matters R related. Parts of this conversation must be repeated to the best
of our memories.
LUG guy: will the new R camera use the existing R lenses?
Leica guy: No
LUG guy: It won't be 35mm sized?
Leica guy: No the sensor will be too big

LUG guy to LUG guy: Did he just say that?! We could have the world scoop on
this! I'm going to post this on the LUG right away and upset the R guys!!

Thirty minutes later we check back with our Leica guy who does deflate us
somewhat by mentioning that this was entirely his guesswork. Rats! I much
preferred the story from seller number two who took the R production manager
out for dinner and learnt nothing!

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/e