Subject: [Leica] OT Query - Canon FD lenses/cameras
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Thu May 22 11:39:15 2008

At 05:33 AM 5/22/2008, Douglas Sharp wrote:
 >Hi, all,
 >
 >I've just been given a Canon TLb with an FD 50/1.8 (Chrome ring and
 >bayonet lens-hood, old style FD mount), an FD 28/2.8 (New style FD
 >mount) and a Vivitar 75-260 / 4.5 Zoom (Old FD mount) + a Vivitar
 >Automatic 2x Teleconverter ( [FL-FD] - whatever that means).
 >
 >Having never used Canon cameras or lenses until the DSLRs came out, I
 >was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about the quality of the
 >above.
 >
 >The TLb is fully functional (and very simple) but needs Mercury or Wein
 >cell batteries - can anyone recommend a good alternative body (assuming
 >that it's worth it for using the lenses I got) - I gather the A series
 >are pretty good and  the F bodies are apparently superb - any pros and
 >cons?.

Well, the TLb is hardly the shining light of the
Canon stable but it is quite a utile picture-taker.

The battery issue is a non-issue.  You certainly
can still buy mercury cells from, say, eBay, as
these are still produced in Russia and China, and
old-stock lenses are readily available as
well.  But the use of alkaline or silver cells
will work, as well, and I'd not worry about any
sort of ASA adjustment.  The mercury cells
produced 1.3 volts and the alkaline and silver
cells 1.5 volts and the difference is meaningless
in the world of real photography, pace Bob
Shell.  Avoid the Wein cells as they are more
than a bit steep in price and do not last any decent time.

The lenses you have are solid ones but not
exactly exciting.  The Vivitar lens is a great
historic door-stop but I doubt that it will win
any prizes for optical quality.  Many of the
Canon FD lenses are of extraordinary quality,
especially the 1.4/50, but the ones you have are
just solid though unspectacular performers.

I love the FD system.  The original F1 and the
AE-1 Progeram are among the better buys on the
market at present.  I sold mine when the market
for them was high and am now considering
replacing them, now that the market is low!

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp) ([Leica] OT Query - Canon FD lenses/cameras)