Subject: [Leica] WAS: Support the Orphan Works Bills! NOW: Kill the Publishers!
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon May 12 07:05:51 2008

Marc James Small offered:

>> A few years back, I asked for your help in ensuring that the Hove Authors
were paid their royalties and you simply refsed to answer.  I

guess that you are so hung up on the price of a

single print that you do not regard the production of a book as wroth your
consideration.<<

Marc,
I can only offer as a weak excuse, I do not recall your request. If so I'd
have given it support immediately as asked. WHY?

Simply because you are not alone at publishing books and dealing with
publishers!

Please remember, myself as author  have 8 books published in recent years
and in particular, a publisher who due to "unscrupulous business means"
walked off with $40,000 US dollars. When that amount was bank converted to
Canadian dollars amounted to approx. $ 60,000 royalties they had collected
for a book I photographed for over a 10 year period! During that time I
traveled back and forth across North America and Russia to take pictures of
the medical folks in action. While paying all my own out of pocket expenses.
:-(

Remember to get pictures you go where they are, not do research and possibly
sit in one place and write!

So I'm fully aware the costs of book publishing from hard learned lessons!

>> Grow up.  When you are willing to help authors,

authors might be more willing to consider your position.<<<

Actually I have grown due to the "rip off the photographer publisher." So I
might be able to give you a few tips on the subject.

ted