Subject: [Leica] Sugar Loaf Mountain, California, late on a spring afternoon
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Sat May 10 20:27:57 2008

For years a friend would rave about driving US 395. Finally we stopped
worrying about how fast we go from Davis to Black Canyon and have
started exploring. 395 is now a favorite drive. On this trip we
realized that we wanted to make the trip in all seasons. I've never
done it in the winter, I don't like to mess with chains in the Sierra,
but this coming winter I'm sure we'll make the trip.

Unlike the western side of the Sierra, the eastern side is an
escarpment, the highest peaks are very close to the eastern side
giving some wonderful views in Bishop and Lone Pine. Indeed, if you
drive (or ride) around Lone Pine you'll find many familiar vistas from
many westerns!

Lots of wildlife and wildflowers to enjoy, some grand vistas too.
Cyclists can enjoy a challenging ride from Mono Lake to Lone Pine and
then over into Death Valley. In the winter there's a famous
double-century that's said to be worth traveling for.

I'm an autumn person and a few years ago my wife and I left Lake Tahoe
at dawn and drove down 395 to the ghost town of Bodie and then up
Tioga Pass into Yosemite. There were fires burning, as I recall, so
the valley was smokey, but the climb up to the summit on the east side
was gorgeous. I wasn't using gmail at the time so I'll have to search
the archives for some of those images. Shot with the R8 that Doug now
uses with the DMR, by the way.

Adam