Subject: [Leica] Nikon Coolscan 4000 Users.... I need help!
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sat May 3 06:58:32 2008

The impression I am getting is that the scanner works, but that the user
needs to "calibrate" the scanner against the individual slide/transparency
that is being scanned using some combination of contrast/saturation/other
adjustments.  ( how you do this with 36 exposures on a roll, in batch mode,
still escapes me.....!  I realize there is some form of profile save and
open command, figuring it out is yet to be accomplished...)

Individual modifications in PS are not time efficient nor needed for every
negative I have ( like a few thousands, at least)  I need to have this
automated.

IOW. As in all software designed today, the SW does relatively little to
assist the first time user.. you need to find your own way.  (What manuals?
You don't need no steenking manuals!  Manuals in PDF format have been found
and studied))

I have been playing with the controls in B+W and have had some degree of
success in getting better (more) saturated images.

Focus is another issue to resolve..... I will try cleaning the mirrors.....

Is there some secret to changing film types  ( Positive, slide positive,
color neg ) that works?  Changing the type while scanning does not work, and
the SW keeps changing back to B+W Neg every time a new roll of film is
inserted.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

Replies: Reply from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] Nikon Coolscan 4000 Users.... I need help!)