Subject: [Leica] noctilux factoid of the day
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Thu Apr 24 19:25:02 2008

Computers were virtually unavailable till the 80-'s.... most of them before
around 1980  were used for accounting purposes.....  PC's were first common
around 1980.. ( TRS80 ) and useless for lens design.  ( No programs)

The Noctilux first appeared in 1966.. before computers ( mini or PC) were at
all common.

It was designed using slide rules ( and long division......)

PS:  Do kids learn Long division in school any more?

PPS: Rei.. My wife was raised in Harrington Park, and my Brother lived in
Ridgewood......His Ex still lives there......

Personally, I was raised in Bloomfield....

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

i was reading puts to learn about the design of the noctilux and
how much of a role computers played in its design (someone here had
intimated that it was designed by slide rule.)  the book (and other
sources) intimate that mandler did embrace computer technology as a
tool but nothing specific about the noctilux.

Replies: Reply from len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier) ([Leica] noctilux factoid of the day)