Subject: [Leica] Leica R lenses and Olympus E-510
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Tue Apr 15 21:42:10 2008

Sorry Richard, but IS will do absolutely nothing to help you with
subjects who are moving, jumping, leaping and flying. It will help
when the subjects are relatively stationary but allowing you to
handhold at speeds 2-3 stops slower than otherwise and get an
acceptable image. But you are talking about subject movement, for
which IS does nothing.

Nathan

On 15-apr-2008, at 23:30, Richard Man wrote:

> ?! Believe me, the Shidara people are moving, jumping, leaping, and
> flying. Without the IS, there's no way I can shoot the 35-100 at
> 1/20th of a second, at F2, at ISO1000. IS compensates the camera's
> movement. You can set it to do IS for horizontal only for panning
> shots if that's what you want.
>
> At 02:09 PM 4/15/2008, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
>> Which is why I rarely use IS, since most of my targets are indeed
>> moving. I was in a bar with my wife and son tonight, and was shooting
>> at ISO 800 with the 1.4 25mm PanaLeica. No IS, but with that ISO and
>> lens combination I was getting shutter speeds of 1/30 or 1/60, which
>> is fine.
>>
>> Nathan
>
> // richard (This email is for mailing lists. To reach me directly,
> please use richard at imagecraft.com)

Nathan Wajsman
nathan@nathanfoto.com
General photography: