Subject: [Leica] Re: poverty alleviation (WAS: IMG: Home, II)
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Fri Apr 4 04:31:47 2008

At 01:34 AM 4/4/2008, you wrote:
>With all respect for the work done by the charities Tina supports
>with her work and other well-meaning individuals, I must say as an
>economist that while such efforts certainly have a positive impact on
>the individual families helped, they can never lift a country out of
>poverty.

Snip

>  If you or I as individuals want to help, do it with
>your wallet--not by donating to Save the Children etc. but by seeking
>out and buying products made in those countries; and with your
>ballot, by voting for politicians who are prepared to abolish
>grotesque policies like the agricultural subsidies in the US and
>Europe which keep poor country farmers out of the world markets at
>great costs to them and to Western consumers and taxpayers.
>
>Nathan

I agree totally, Nathan.  I think we've had this conversation
before.  Our group meets every year with our Congressman John Spratt,
who is a very active and interested member of Congress and chairman
of the Budget Committee.  We do what we can to influence USA's
international policies.  We speak at over 100 venues every year.  Who
knows when someone who hears one of our talks may be inspired to do
something.  We support fair trade policies and buy coffee, fruit, and
anything else we can from independent fair trade organizations.  All
of those activities may make a difference - some day. However, when I
buy a goat through Heifer Project International for a family in
Honduras, I know that the children in that family will have improved
nutrition, the parents will be able to sell excess milk and cheese to
neighbors, and the fertilizer will improve their vegetable gardens -
now.  That is a difference I can see from one year to the next.  One
village in particular has gone from living in 45 mud huts with
thatched roofs to 45 concrete block houses with tin roofs, running
water, and electricity in less than three years.  That makes a big
and immediate difference to 45 families.  I can sit and despair over
where the world is headed or I can go out and do something to help one
person.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP, NPPA
http://www.tinamanley.com