Subject: [Leica] IMG: Home, II
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Thu Apr 3 15:19:00 2008

For a number of years I and a friend distributed coats, sweaters,
blankets, sandwiches and hot beverages to people on the street during
the coldest days of winter. No cameras. The most profound encounter I
had while doing that occurred when a fellow said to us, "I don't need
none of that shit. I know how to get warm clothes. What I need is for
you two to talk to me. Not walk away thinking you done me a favor
with your old clothes and weak coffee." We spent an hour with the man
under a freeway bridge. He seemed extremely intelligent; well
educated; philosophical; chose the street because he didn't want any
of the "bullshit" that his employers, family and friends put him
through (don't know exactly what that meant - but I think we've all
known the feeling at one time or another). Of course he also
manifested symptoms of anti-social behavior and other psychological
issues. He obviously hungered for the one thing he couldn't easily
fend for himself - enough respect  from people to share a "real"
conversation.

In our area we also had a football star who became a local TV sports
reporter before developing schizophrenia. He disappeared for a couple
years to the streets before his family finally was able to find him
and get him on treatment.

Homelessness can come to any of us, or our family members, for many
different causes.
A number of my friends have stood at the edge and just missed falling
off.

As a life time self employed person - I've always felt dangerously
close to the possibility - which is where a lot of my "compassion"
comes from.

Fond regards,
George
george@imagist.com