Subject: [Leica] Don't Panic After All [OT]
From: kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Wed Apr 2 19:36:22 2008

On Apr 2, 2008, at 7:08 PM, Howard Ritter wrote:
> Javier--
>
> No contradiction here. Normal individuals don't "catch" cancer from
> other people with cancer because their immune systems destroy any
> cancer cells that might be passed, even if by a blood transfusion
> (because the immune system is triggered by foreign cell-surface
> proteins [HLA antigens] that tend to be much different between
> random individuals, and which are indeed specified by the cell's DNA).
>
> The unfortunate recipients in this tragic case weren't "normal"--the
> transplanted cancer went wild because their immune systems had been
> actively suppressed to keep them from rejecting the transplanted
> organs--and so weren't able to reject the transplanted cancer cells
> either. I'd hope that the immune systems of the surviving
> recipients, with the immunosuppressive drugs discontinued, would be
> able to eradicate the lymphoma.

I agree Howard,

what occurred wasn't new or surprising...in fact it was predictable.
But it does raise other questions. What is tragic is the mistaken
diagnosis of meningitis instead of lymphoma, which should have been
established before any transplantation was done. Instead it appears
that it took a month, after the transplantations, to do an autopsy and
to make the correct diagnosis. Clearly this is being investigated.

I wonder Howard, about the transplantations being approved here, even
based on the incorrect diagnosis of meningitis of unknown cause...even
if meningitis had been the correct diagnosis, that could be risky
since no cause was proven...any thoughts about that Howard? Do current
transplantation guidelines really permit transplantation in this
situation? Are the guidelines really a case by case, and state by
state patchwork?

thanks, Steve