Subject: [Leica] Don't Panic After All [OT]
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Wed Apr 2 19:08:07 2008

Javier--

No contradiction here. Normal individuals don't "catch" cancer from
other people with cancer because their immune systems destroy any
cancer cells that might be passed, even if by a blood transfusion
(because the immune system is triggered by foreign cell-surface
proteins [HLA antigens] that tend to be much different between random
individuals, and which are indeed specified by the cell's DNA).

The unfortunate recipients in this tragic case weren't "normal"--the
transplanted cancer went wild because their immune systems had been
actively suppressed to keep them from rejecting the transplanted
organs--and so weren't able to reject the transplanted cancer cells
either. I'd hope that the immune systems of the surviving recipients,
with the immunosuppressive drugs discontinued, would be able to
eradicate the lymphoma.

--howard
(hematologist-oncologist by day,
dangerously delusional amateur Leicaman by night)