Subject: [Leica] IMG: ZM lenes can photograph the horizon
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Wed Mar 26 00:47:09 2008

Don, I must take up the cudgel again here ;-) Firstly I agree (as an owner)
that the 4.5 21 is a great lens. Compact, sharp, accurate and all of the
rest. Now despite my trepidation at possibly angering whichever deity
oversees gear heads, I have to comment on your statements here. I do follow
your interpretation of the MTF diagrams.
Have you tried the 2.8 version? Do you think that there is a demonstrable
difference in the areas that you mention? Let's assume best case and only
consider M8 files. By that I mean optical deficiencies will be most evident.
But now if you are both handholding the camera and zone focusing, I really
think that any theoretical differences are likely to be more than outweighed
by those other factors.

You said it best in your second sentence 'it's smaller, lighter and costs
less'
I would add that it costs a lot less than new Leica glass, but then Leica
have no slow M wides currently. I'm hoping that may change at Photokina
(purely my wishful thinking and speculation). Also, shooting into the sun or
nearly so, it is noticeably inferior to the latest Leica asph glass.
Specifically it exhibits veiling glare much more readily. I won't post the
boring test roll I shot in my front yard. Some samples below for anyone
interested. These are all downsized of course, and are from M7 film scans. I
haven't shot this lens on the M8 as yet.

Shooting into the sun. They can never be sharp enough or well corrected
enough for me. Still I quite like the effect in this one. Also, since this
was Neopan in dilute Xtol, I guess that may have influenced the highlights
too??
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/image/92958185
http://tinyurl.com/ynu6nc

Less adverse light
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/image/92939176
http://tinyurl.com/2855sf

Conversion from Provia 400X, at sunrise
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/image/93331630
http://tinyurl.com/ysmy65

This one is posted just for sample purposes. Not my favourite from the area.
This is the entire frame within the slide mount. Note the horizon is ruler
straight (amazingly I didn't get the horizon tilted either!) and also the
excellent lack of vignetting. This is stopped down, I think around f11.
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/image/94721480
http://tinyurl.com/2arypu

Cheers
Geoff