Subject: FW: [Leica] GALAPAGOS ISLANDS
From: afirkin at afirkin.com (afirkin@afirkin.com)
Date: Sat Mar 15 15:08:49 2008

I have used a number of ways to get to shore in the Arctic and Antarctic.
The pelican case is great, but you don't "open" it up much on the water. I
did from time to time. On my recent trip I had Ortlieb bags and a larger dry
sac. The bag was big enough to hold the DMR and lens and the sac held the
rest. When we got to shore I would unload the sac, leave it at the landing
and hike about with the rest. I also found a water proof pack in
Longyearbean, but though it was great, it was difficult to open and unload.
I used it only when it was likely to rain.

On the zodiacs, I had my DMR and 70-180 zoom. A large plastic bag was put
over the lens with a hold for the sun shade. I held it there with thick
rubber bands. Now the only thing exposed to "splash" was the sun-shade and
the filter ---- yes, with salt water I did use filters ;-) The bag could be
pulled back over the camera with the larger open end over the body, but the
opening is big enough to hold your hands etc to operate the camera from
behind the plastic cover. Once used to it, it worked like a dream.

Cheers
Jealous

Alastair