Subject: [Leica] Narrow DoF on the Leica E-3
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Wed Mar 5 20:55:23 2008

Ah, the plot thickens.  Thanks Don.  Actually, I think f/1.7 is a half stop
down from f/2, but point taken.

What complicates matters is that there were three versions of the OM
50/1.4:  The oldest singlecoated (and often silvernosed) lenses with yellow
coating, the intermediate multicoated version, and the last version with a
serial number of 1,050,000 or greater.  Do you know which one "Modern"
tested?  I've tried all three.  I got rid of the first version after a
couple of rolls. I still have the second and third versions. The third
version is much better wide open (less coma, sharper).  I don't recall any
exposure difference, I think they both showed little more light between f/2
and f/1.4.

Anyway, the bottom line is that with fast manual OM lenses on E-series
cameras, the very widest and narrowest stop may require a custom +/-
EV.  And you can't trust your in-camera meter at the extreme stops,
either.  I found the 50/1.4 occasionally useful on the E-1, but I usually
kept it set at f/2, where it performed nicely indoors.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] Narrow DoF on the Leica E-3)